Vauxhall Motors was built in Ellesmere Port in 1962 due to growing trade at Luton and Dunstable sites.
The site was originally the location of ‘Hooton Hall’ the residence of Sir William Stanley, the fifth Earl of Stanley. However during the First World War the estate was requisitioned as a military hospital, and in 1917 an airfield was built to train pilots from Canada and the United States. Hooton Hall remained as a military airfield up to the disbanding of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force in 1927.
The Type 3 surveys were carried out to determine whether any asbestos-containing materials were present in the buildings, and to specify appropriate remedial action, prior to the proposed demolition.
The EA Building is a two storey concrete building.
The EF Building is a single storey building. The roof area has a plant room; the ground floor has a kitchen area, training school, workshops and offices.
EG Office Block is a three-storey building. The building is of brick/steel/concrete construction.
Asbestos was identified in a number of forms. Examples being asbestos pipe insulation, insulating board, cement, floor tiles and gaskets.
It was recommended that all asbestos containing materials / products be removed prior to demolition. It was also recommended that the report and register be used to form a part of a management plan for the site.